How I color my stuff.
I was asked many times how I make my pictures, asked about tutorials of my coloring methods and every time my answer was that there’s a lot of tutorials presenting the way I color made by really awesome people already and there’s really no need for me to make just another one. It’s like these eye drawing tutorial, they are most of the time the very same thing just personalized to those people’s need. And same is with my coloring - making another tutorial of the same thing is really not necessary.
I use Photoshop with Layers set on different blending modes. Whole picture usually takes around 10 - 15 layers. it’s only because much too many times in my life I painted something on wrong layer and I’m just paranoid so I make everything on separate layers just for my own peace. I’m not here to explain Photoshop options, I’m sure if you don’t know how Layer Blending Modes work and you’re interested you may google it, find out about it by yourself and practice some to check how colors act in different blending modes, when you should choose darker colors, when brighter, when you should change opacity to make them look better, less or more vivid etc. It’s a matter of practice.
- All my layers are above Sketch (picture 1).
- You can see there Multiply, to cover whole silhouette (picture 2),
- Then another Multiply to add shadows, Overlay and Soft Light to add light, the white lines on the line art and in hair are Normal layer, they make everything looks just more detailed. (picture 3)
- Next I add colors by Overlay for skin, Multiply for darker colors and other layers depending of what effect I want to get (picture 4).
- And at the end I add some additional details if needed, textures on Overlay layer, I add some gradients here and there, I change Contrast/Brightness, colors by Selective Color or Color Balance options, add some Photo Filter if needed and do all these cosmetic thingies until I’m happy with final effect. I use Sharpen or Blur in some places And I guess that’s all.
Picture is commission for CamilliaTepes Thank you so much!
★ My Deviantart | My Y!Gallery | My FanClub | My Anipan | Commissions ★